Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Thoughts on Creativity

Today I read an article about creativity. It was an encouragement to realize that with all the images around us, not to mention our own mind (conscious and subconscious), there really is no reason for creative juices to "dry up." There were some practical tools: journaling, drawing, working in a inspiring place, working when you're at your best, being realistic about the time your personal creative process needs, etc. The tips were great and helped me refocus because I feel like I'm in a creative slump; which is really not what a designer (amateur as I am) wants to feel.

But in addition to that, I thought about a conversation I had with my pastor/boss and our creative director/my best friend where we talked about creativity being a God given need. That all creativity is a reflection of Jesus, whether we mean for it to or not, since we are made in his image. God is the ultimate creative genius: can you imagine coming up with everything out of nothing with no one but yourself for input? Of course, that's taking it to a human level, but still, God's creativity is astounding. And I know that he wants me to be creative because 1) I bring him glory when I act like him (and the person he made me to be) and 2) my creativity serves to create an atmosphere where lives are transformed. It is and will be a reminder that he will provide a way and that my inspiration comes from him.

All that to say, I got an awesome briefcase/file case from Goodwill today for $4 that is amazingly vintage and full of nerdy goodness. I wish I had a laptop (choose whichever OS you like best, that way I don't offend anyone!!) with CS4 on it to put in this bag and be creative everywhere I go. :D

1 comment:

  1. You need to get a macbook pro loaded up in that thing and take it to Echo conference this year!

    ReplyDelete